Saturday, August 2, 2008

Getting A House Ready

We have a visitor coming soon and as usual, we are scrambling to get the house "clean".

It's funny.  I think everyone has this problem.  A guest is coming and the first thing you do is think "this house is a mess".  Then you spend three days before cleaning and scrubbing only to provide a place to mess it up all over again.

For some reason, I'm very neat with some things and very messy with others.  Take clothes for example.  I'll just throw all my clothes around in various states on the floor (thankfully we have a spare bedroom that's usually unoccupied).  Then we have the kitchen.  I'll spend hours making sure that my various pot, pans, tools, and implements are cleaned and put away.

A wild guess about why I do this would be that I hate to do laundry and love to cook.  That would make sense, but I don't intentionally do it.

Maybe I can get a federal grant to study it.

It also provides a great opportunity to watch my wife and I argue about the chores that we need to do.  Like my laundry and kitchen duality, we both covertly try and get the other to do the chores that we both don't like to do.  This can range from hints to subterfuge.  Usually, I triumph (does that make me a "pig"?), but end up doing most everything else to compensate (does that make me "whipped"?).

I just wish that we could train ourselves to do a little each day.  I'm going to try my best in the next week to do this.  I'll try and report back next week and see if it makes any difference.
blog comments powered by Disqus